Monday, January 29, 2007

Don't wait for Barry to get here!


Barry Cooper, our new online managing editor, who is arriving Feb. 26 to help us raise The Pilot's commitment to online journalism to a new level, says he can't wait to get started.


Well, let's take him at his word.


Barry is reading News Without Paper regularly as he prepares to make his move to Hampton Roads. Those of you in the newsroom who are busting to make suggestions and ask questions can post your comments here. Let's get an active discussion under way of our ideas and aspirations for online journalism. Why wait?


8 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 at 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to be able to post short video snippets from our city schools -- say 5 seconds to a minute -- on our blog (Under the Boardwalk) as appropriate.
-Lauren Roth, Virginia Beach education

 
At January 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM, Blogger Barry said...

Kerry -- Thanks (again!) for the warm welcome. My wife, Darlene and I are so looking forward to moving to Hampton Roads. I think this is an incredibly exciting time to be involved in both online and print, and I know we're going to do great things at the Virginian-Pilot.

Lauren -- I'd like to talk to you more about your ideas for videos from area schools. I'm planning to spend a lot of time thinking about "average Joe" videos; I think they could be a big addition to what we're doing at pilotonline.com and hamptonroads.tv.

Lauren, is your office in Virginia Beach? I hear it's a beautiful area.

Best,

Barry

 
At January 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We say we want younger readers, yet, our teen content is not online on The Pilot site. Younger people use the Internet ... it's a way of life. How do we accommodate their needs online?
- Toni Guagenti, LNC and 757 Teen Editor

 
At January 31, 2007 at 10:37 AM, Blogger Kerry Sipe said...

Soem other staffers have also asked about posting audio and video on their blogs, Lauren. It's a good idea, but our current blogging tool doesn't really give us the option of posting multimedia seamlessly to blog posts. I hope we can work toward more effective blogging software before long.

 
At January 31, 2007 at 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Barry, and welcome to The Pilot. I'm the editor of a new feature called Co-Pilot ... a reader-content page that will appear 3x a week. I've already had some fruitful conversations with POL about mutual goals and ways we can help each other. This has the potential to really integrate News and online... with registration, blogs, photos, comments, etc... all aimed at getting readers in the paper, not just online. Can't wait for you to get here!
Marian Anderfuren

 
At February 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again, Barry!
Two video ideas I had were a snippet of a rapping custodians video from when Beach schools started recycling, and footage of a Beach private school during their trip to Bhutan.

And yes, the office is in Virginia Beach -- 15 minutes from the ocean. Unfortunately, it's 30 degrees.

-- Lauren

 
At February 7, 2007 at 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Barry!
I'd love to see some newsroom discussion of what exactly we're aiming for when we talk about a 24/7 newsroom. For example, this week we expected a snowstorm and, on the fly, put a plan in place for early morning online coverage. But we haven't started talking about how to pace our online coverage--that is, what do we need up at 5 a.m., then how do we make people keep coming back for more online, and what do we do that is special for the next day's print edition? Obviously that'll differ somewhat from story to story. But it would be great to start having those conversations.
- Meredith Kruse, Norfolk city editor (and native Chicagoan, so I am amused by the excitement a dusting can generate here!)

 
At February 23, 2007 at 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Barry, I guess you'll be here next week. In fact, you're probably moving and won't read this, but anyway...

The Pilot is undertaking a six-month project it will call HealthQuest, aimed at helping Hampton Roads lose weight. Tons of weight all told. Online will have to be a source of links, and we'll need a way for people to register to participate. I'll talk to you soon. (We'll be neighbors, by the way.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home